Monday, February 14, 2005

Tribute to Milan Vukcevich

There are a lot of boorish and insufferable people in the chess world, and I have had the misfortune of tangling with some of them both on the board and off. But chess master Dr. Milan Vukcevich was a gentleman of the old school. I did not know him well at all, but I did play him a few times at the John Carroll University chess club in University Heights, Ohio in the late 1980s, early 1990s. He and IM Calvin Blocker were the titans of that club with whom even a patzer such as I might find himself paired. I remember one occasion on which I had the temerity to try the Budapest Gambit against him. You can guess the outcome.

From this tribute, one can see what sort of man Milan Vukcevich was. Vuky was not only a great over-the-board player but a problemist as well. Here are some of his compositions.