Friday, February 11, 2005

Genesis 3, 19 and Blogospheric Privilege

Gabriel Laguna comments:

Congratulations for this excellent blog. I am afraid Genesis 3, 19 is misquoted. The Latin text in the Vulgata reads: In sudore vultus tui vesceris pane, donec revertaris in terram de qua sumptus es: quia pulvis es et in pulverem reverteris.

Therefore, the phrase Memento, homo lacks in the Genesis' passage, but belongs to the Catholic liturgy. The verb Memento comes probably from Ecclesiastes 12, 1. I have dealt with this phrase in my blog.

BV: Thanks for writing and for the kind words. I consulted my Biblia Vulgata before I wrote the post in question, but not wanting to quote the whole passage, I prefaced part of it with the Memento, homo. My background is Roman Catholic, so that came naturally. But you are absolutely right. You could say that I was invoking my blogospheric privilege to be a little laxer than I would have been had I been writing for a hard-copy journal.

Of course, this raises a question that I have been pondering: should I cut myself any slack in this venue? My tentative conclusion is that I should, so that I can keep up the flow. The genre demands relatively quick short posts. The blogosopher is a bit like the blitz chess player: he has to crank out something good in serious time pressure.

UPDATE: Having just looked at Professor Laguna's weblog and main website, I believe those of my readers who know Spanish will find them interesting. (His blog will take you to his main site.) Had I known of Laguna before, I might have accompanied my wife to Spain. But maybe not. If there isn't an etymological connection between travel and travail, then there ought to be. And I can't say I'm all that thrilled with Europe these days.