Sunday, November 14, 2004

Recalling Old Flames on Their Birthdays

I suspect I am not the only one who celebrates the birthdays of long lost lovers. Today is C.H.'s birthday. I think of her fondly, though it's going on a quarter of century since I last saw her. Numerous are the times I've put the Google bot on her case, but she has dropped out of sight.

I'm sure I give her more thought than she deserves, and more thought than she ever gave me. I was in love with her once and wanted to marry her, but she didn't want me when I wanted her. One time, before the end of a class, I handed her a note with the Goethe line, from Faust, "Verweile doch, du bist so schoen!" (Stay a while, you are so beautiful). A memory arises of being in her Brandeis graduate student apartment reading her copy of P.F. Strawson's Bounds of Sense while she cooked dinner.

Enjoy your birthday, C., wherever you are. I think of you with affection, but also take satisfaction in the thought that I had the good sense to bide my time and wait for the right one to come along.