Friday, November 26, 2004

Mesa, Arizona 10 K Turkey Trot Race Results

Just so you can appreciate what a miserable plodder I have become, here are the results of yesterday's 10 K (6.2 mile) race. This, the 35th annual running of the race, drew the biggest turn-out ever. Out of 1, 815 finishers, 940 were male, and 875 female. In my category (Male 50-54), I finished in 59th place out of 70. My time was a 'blistering' 1:07:46. (But the large crowd slowed the departure!) Average time in my category: 57:45. (My personal best for the 10 K is around 53 minutes. I was in my best running shape in 1979 when I completed a half-marathon (13.1 miles) at a 7.5 minute/mile pace.)

In yesterday's race, I came in in 847th place out of 940 runners of the male persuasion. The fastest male finished in 33:03, the slowest in 1:43:55.

What's my problem?

(1) I run only once a week, albeit for two hours, to spare my joints. Biking and hiking on the other days.

(2) I suffer from a paucity of fast-twitch fibers. There is no substitute for talent, and some of us lack it. Don't let anyone tell you that you can do anything you set your mind to. That's liberal buncombe. On the other hand, don't let anyone tell you what you can't do. Verify your limits for yourself. Do the best with what you have. No one can demand more.

(3) I need to drop about 15 lbs which is not easy once you pass the half-century mark.