Friday, October 01, 2004

October is Kerouac Month at MavPhil

Sweet October again! My favorite month and I believe it was Kerouac's as well. It is an old tradition of mine to not let October pass without dipping back into Kerouac's writing and catching up on the secondary literature.

This October is special since Kerouac died 35 years ago this month, 21 October 1969, at the tender age of 47.

I will be pulling some quotations this month in honor of sweet gone Jack who, along with his old friend Neal Cassady (the Dean Moriarty of On the Road, the Cody Pomeray of Visions of Cody, etc.) discovered that grace beats karma in the end.

How could a dessicated logic-chopper like me be interested in a hyper-romantic boozehead like Kerouac? I'll let Walt Whitman answer for me: "I am large, I contain multitudes." (Song of Myself).