Thursday, October 07, 2004

From the Mail

John DePoe writes:

Thanks for linking to my blog. I've been reading yours for some time now. There are very few people who blog as voluminously as you do without producing massive amounts of garbage. Most of your posts provide information, arguments, or entertainment that is edifying. I hope to teach philosophy someday, but you've given me hope that if I can't find a job teaching, I may be able to become a professional blogger. Clear, analytic thinking is often absent from the "blogosphere." Reading your blog is like a breath of fresh air from most of the other garbage. Okay, I'm done brown-nosing.

You asked how I'm enjoying Western's grad program, and I'm very pleased with it. I moved up to Michigan from Texas about three months ago, and I don't regret my decision. The department's faculty is lopsidedly favored towards metaphysical naturalism, but the students include a large number of theists. Tim McGrew is the only philosophy prof that I know of who is not a metaphysical naturalist. Tim is great because he is a theist who won't back down from any argument, and he is a beautiful blend of brains and wit. I have a master's degree from a seminary's MA program in religion, and I've been in another philosophy MA program (I dropped the program for financial and other reasons that were the university's fault), and I can tell WMU's program is a big cut above the rest. I believe I am growing more every day, and I am being prepared for competitive PhD work. I'm working on getting a department blog set up, which I hope will showcase some of WMU's outstanding philosophy personnel, not to mention that it will bring more good philosophy to the blogging community.

Thanks again for your ever-blogging presence on the web. You're an inspiration for this young philosopher!