Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Thirty Years Ago Today

As I make my blogospheric rounds, one of my daily stops is Keith Burgess-Jackson's main weblog. On occasion he treats his readers to excerpts from his journal of twenty years ago. Today I go him one better by reaching back thirty years into My BacK Pages to the time when I first walked into a classroom on the delivery end:

My first week of teaching [while still a graduate student] is now a thing of the past. I feel that I have been, and will be, successful and effective. My worries and fears about getting up in front of a group of students and articulating such an abstract (or should I say "concretely universal"?) subject as philosophy have subsided. Not that I have become truly coherent and intelligible in my delivery, even though I was surprised during one session at the transitions and connections from one idea to another. I find myself in meantimes thinking about my course content and its delivery and have been reading secondary sources like Friedlaender, Gustav Emil Mueller and Cornford.

A day or so ago I spoke to [chairman] F. for a few minutes and he mentioned that there had been no "drops," from my class, "a sign," he said, "that I was doing something right."

Volume VI, p. 195.