Thursday, September 30, 2004

Quality Control in the Blogosphere

Who says there is no quality control in the blogosphere?

No sooner do I blunder in my Latin than classicist Mike Gilleland is all over me like a cheap suit. I hope he doesn't find the 'cheap suit' line offensive, but I had to work it in somehow. I first heard it from a chess player: "I tried the French Defense on him but before I knew it, he was all over me like a cheap suit." Being a chess player, Mike can appreciate how one can get crushed playing the French. Nevertheless, and despite all my French-bashing, the French is my preferred defense to 1. e4. By the way, Mike tells me that his surname is not French.

To be fair, Mike pointed out my mistake in a very subtle and diplomatic way. I wrote, Si vis pacem, bellum paratum, when I should have written, Si vis pacem, para bellum. 'If you want peace, prepare for war.' Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Please read the whole of Gilleland's entry which, like all of his posts, is a gem.

The one right below it points out a mistake in Hendrickson. I have been relying on the latter's Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins for some of my posts. If memory serves, this is at least the second time Gilleland has found a mistake in Hendrickson. Perhaps Mike should give us his opinion of the book as a whole.