Saturday, August 14, 2004

Blogging for Community

Many of us used to complain of lack of community. We looked for it in colleagues, neighbors, and relatives, but to no avail. We agreed with the sentiment of Emerson: “I do not visit the homes of my relatives, for I do not like to be alone.” (Quoted from memory.) We looked for, but did not find, that commonality of interests, aspirations, and attitudes that make for community.

But the Internet, or more precisely, the World Wide Web, has changed all of that. E-mail was the beginning, personal websites the next step, and now with weblogs we have arrived. You cast your line out into the blogospheric depths, and damned if you don’t snag some highly interesting characters!

In the few months I have been blogging I have hooked up with numerous like-minded individuals that I would never have met otherwise. Among them: Keith Burgess-Jackson, Dennis Mangan, Bill Keezer, Mike Gilleland, and John Ray. These are five learned individuals from different fields who have stimulating things to say on a daily basis. I have learned much from them. Above all, they are individuals: each is involved in the ongoing task of self-individuation and self-actualization. They are who they are becoming, and they are becoming who they are.