Monday, July 26, 2004

Another Reason for Anonymous Blogging

A correspondent -- who wishes to remain anonymous! -- writes:

Not sure I want to be on record as reading Gut Rumbles but here is a relevant post. The company referred to is Kerr-McGee.

>>Several people emailed me about this post. I sent the guy a response because I believe that I have a story to tell. Yes, my blog cost me my job and the company I worked for made no bones about that fact. They paid me a shit-load of money to go away and be quiet. I tookthe money and ran.

But the whole thing still chaps my ass. I knew when I started this blog that I was risking a lot with some of the things I write, but I did it on my own time, not the company's. Less than six months before my ouster, I was given a big, fat financial reward for
being a "Top Gun," a high-octane performer. Then, they turned around and "retired" me because of my blog.

Suppose that instead of writing a blog, I practiced some sort of voodoo religion and bought a couple of billboards to advertise my expertise in goat-entrail reading. Would I have been fired for that? I don't think so. But a blog can bite you in the ass, especially if you write what I do.

Fuck 'em. I made out like a bandit.<<

====================

"This post" is a reference to:

Instapundit:

>>HELP A JOURNALIST! Mark Miller emails:

I'm a researcher for People magazine and I'm trying to track down anyone who has had a blog entry backfire on him or her either professionally or personally. Any help you can be is totally appreciated.

He asks that you email him here: markjmill@yahoo.com.<<