Monday, May 17, 2004

Omnia Mea Mecum Porto Revisited

Horace Jeffery Hodges, cyber-prowler par excellence and professor of English language and literature at Korea University, writes:

Thanks for translating Omnia Mea Mecum Porto (I carry my all with me). You suggested the Stoics as the source. I located a website that attributes it to Ovid:

Ovid: "Omnia mea mecum porto." -- "I carry with me all
my things." But where in Ovid? At any rate, another website gives
Cicero:

Omnia mea mecum porto: All meinen Besitz trage ich mit
mir.
Cic. parad. 1,1,8.

According to this site, Feuerbach quoted the motto. You were, perhaps, reading Feuerbach rather than Schopenhauer when you came across this, were you?


It's possible, Jeff, but I am pretty sure I found it in Schopenhauer. I'll see if I can find the passage. Thanks for the references!